Meet the Council
Community Justice Council Executive Committee
For more information about the Council members, check out our YouTube Channel!
Chair John Chisholm & Vice Chair Tom Reed
The Executive committee shall be responsible for the following:
- Develop Council meeting agendas and ensure matters are ready for Council meetings.
- Review reports and recommendations of Standing Committees to ensure assignments are completed and prepare documents for Council meetings.
- Propose to the Council the formation of Standing Committees, Subcommittees and Ad Hoc Committees.
- Recommend to the Council individuals to serve as chairs and members of above-listed committees.
- Coordinate and approve the membership of the Standing Committees, Subcommittees and Ad Hoc Committees.
- Review all reports and recommendations from standing committees, subcommittees, and Ad Hoc Committees. If approved to forward based on that review, the Executive Committee will pass the committee’s recommendations to Council for vote.
CJC Executive Committee Guidelines
A. Statement of Collaboration
Members of the Executive Committee agree that in order to ensure a fair, efficient and effective justice system they will bring to the attention of appropriate members of the Council, for input and consideration, any policy changes which are likely to impact other parts of the criminal justice system.
B. Decision Making Guidelines
All members have equal status for the purposes of input and decision making.
Whenever possible, decisions will be reached by consensus of all members, whether present at a scheduled meeting or not. If consensus cannot be reached, then decisions shall be made as follows:
- A proponent of the decision shall make a motion which shall be stated in a meeting agenda issued at least three business days in advance of a meeting.
- The motion may be put to a vote at the meeting if a quorum is present; a quorum shall consist of at least eight members of the Executive Committee.
- A motion shall carry if a majority of the Executive Committee members present at the meeting vote in favor.
Decisions of the Executive Committee are subject to legal limitations on the authority of any agency whose representative serves on the Executive Committee. However, a decision of the Executive Committee binds the representative to make a good faith effort to use his or her authority to implement the decision or persuade his or her agency to authorize the necessary action or seek the necessary authority
Council Members; Milwaukee County Circuit Court Chief Judge Jeffrey Kremers, Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke, Jr., County Executive Chris Abele, Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm (Chair), Inspector Richard Schmidt from the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office, County Supervisor Willie Johnson Jr., City of Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, City of Milwaukee Chief of Police Edward Flynn, First Assistant Public Defender Tom Reed, Department of Corrections Regional Chief Niel Thoreson, Community Member Kit Murphy McNally, Director of the Milwaukee Homicide Review Commission Mallory O'Brien, US Marshall, Eastern District of WI Kevin Carr (Ex Officio), Milwaukee County House of Correction Superintendent Michael Hafemann, Director of Health and Human Services Hector Colon, Milwaukee County Corporation Counsel Paul Bargren, and US Attorney James Santelle.